There are two primary research labs located in Bourgeois Hall and one research lab located at the New Iberia Research Center. The facilities are used both in research and instruction of both undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in Kinesiology.
The research labs are engaged in basic and applied research in sport nutrition and exercise performance. Many studies are funded by corporate partners using custom designed protocols. We welcome inquiries regarding potential research for nutraceuticals, sport supplements or exercise and fitness equipment.
The Human Performance Lab
The human performance lab is a 1,500 square foot facility that is used to examine exercise performance and body composition. The facility can examine exercise metabolism, body composition and muscular strength and power with highly validated and reliable instrumentation. The key equipment in this lab includes:
- CosMed CPET metabolic cart with integrated magnetically braked ergometer, oximetry, ECG and spirometry. This system can be used both breath by breath and with a mixing chamber, and has a canopy for assessment of resting metabolic rate.
- ParvoMedics TrueOne 2400 metabolic cart with integrated clinical treadmill and ECG. This system incorporates oxygen dilution measurement for determination of residual lung volumes.
- Bod Pod Gold Standard system for determination of Body Fat Percentage
- Large in-ground hyrdostatic weighing tank with water filtration system
- Large AMTI force plate with sampling up to 2000Hz integrated into a custom squat cage for measurement of power production
- Biopac Systems wired surface Electromyography (EMG)
- AD Instruments Non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP) monitoring system
- Near-Infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) MOXY sensors for measurement of muscle oxygen saturation and blood flow
- Monark Peak Bike (894E) for computerized Wingate Testing of Anaerobic Capacity
- Mechanically Braked Cycle Ergometers (828E)
- CUBA Broad Ultrasound Attenuation System to assess bone density
- Rogue Fitness Weight training equipment
The Exercise Metabolism Lab
The 500 sq. ft. exercise metabolism lab is dedicated to the detection of biomarkers and protein concentration in from a variety of sample types. The facility has all the necessary equipment to use immunoassay and western blot techniques with high precision. The facility includes:
- BioRad ChemiDoc Touch imaging system, Trans-Blot Turbo Transfer System, Tetra Electrophoresis Cell, Power Supply
- Quansys Biosciences Q-View Imager
- BioTek ELx 808IU Kinetic Microplate Reader
- BioTek Microplate Washer
- Thermo Scientific Evolution 60s UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
- Wescor Vapro Vapor Pressure Osmometer
- Millipore Ultra Pure Type 1 water system
- Laboratory Freezers -40 degree Celsius, and -80 degree Celsius
- Laboratory Refrigerators
- Clinical centrifuge and microcentrifuges
- Digital cabinet and microplate Incubators
- Digital Microplate shaker
- Thermo Scientific Orion pH meter
- Benchmark digital heating block
- Alere LDX Cholestech system
The Mouse Lab
The Mouse lab is located at the New Iberia Research Center and is dedicated to better understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms of chronic disease as well as the reversal of chronic diseases with exercise and dietary interventions. The facility includes:
- Mouse housing
- 6 lane mouse treadmill
- Surgical and Necropsy area
- Veterinary technician staff for routine cage maintenance, feeding, etc.
If you have questions or if you would like to receive more information about our facilities or research possibilities, please send us an e-mail.